Friday, February 10

Cozy Coupe Love

Does everyone know what a Cozy Coupe is?  They generally look a little something like this:
Except without the face.  Must be a new thing since Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater made their debut.

Well, one faceless and very special Cozy Coupe found it's way to our local playground during late summer this past year.  It arrived looking all shiny and lightly used, and Bella immediately fell in love with him.  Cozy Coupe arrived right around the time she gained an interest in walking, and so she loved using him as a walker.  She would spend her whole time at the playground pushing him in circles around the other kids and toys.  And if another kid jumped in, she would just push harder and give that kid a ride.  She couldn't get enough of him, and the playground experience was not complete unless she had an encounter with Cozy Coupe.

Cozy Coupe back in his prime.

But months have since passed, and many a child has loved him, driven him, kicked him, fought over him, crashed him into a tree, and knocked him over trying to dump their little sister out of him.  Yes, I've witnessed all these things.  He's aged quickly, Ol' Cozy. And I'm sure at this point in his life, his hair- if he still has any- is gray and wiry.  His eyes are worn and googly from all the tumbles. He's not mentally stable.  And for this reason, I've stopped encouraging my child to play with Ol' Cozy.  In fact, I'm just waiting for the day when we show up at the playground and witness him being hauled off by the city.

I mean, just look at him:

His door fell off months ago.  There's a crack in the seat from that big kid that tried to sit in him.  The awning is held up by one shaky support.  The gas cap is missing.  And his front, left wheel... well...

... the tree stump got him.  It got him bad.

So yes, I confess that in more recent days, I've done my best to help Bella avoid Ol' Cozy.  Upon arrival at the playground, I've put her down to play as far away from him as possible. I've hid him behind trees to no avail.  I've even encouraged other kids to give him a try so I can have a legitimate reason to tell Bella "no".  I know.  I've been mean and manipulative.

But Ol' Cozy isn't going away.  Every time we visit the playground, kids continue to fight over who gets to sit in his broken seat.  Kids still jump at the opportunity to pretend they're driving him, because you see, he doesn't move anymore.  He just sits there.  Sometimes he squeaks out a scoot or two for old time's sake, but really, he's had it.  He's done.

And still, sweet Bella remains faithful to Ol' Cozy.  I'll never understand why she looks past all the awesome toys on the playground and b-lines it to him... every single time.  She loves him, mental instability and all.  And truth be told, my child has helped me find a place in my heart for this beaten down friend.  I'm sure it won't be the only time my child causes me to see life a little differently.  

Ol' Cozy, you've been good to us.  You and I may think you're on your last leg, but you're not.  These kids will love you until you magically sprout an engine and speed off to bigger and better things.

Because that still happens to all the extra loved toys.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment