Tuesday, March 8

Ready for the Day with the Little Green Army

"Standing at Attention"

I've had two recent conversations with friends about enjoying my days with Bella.  As cute as this girl is, I know my natural tendency is to treat my child as another thing in my life to be managed.  Children "how to" books love to push for getting your baby on a set schedule.  While schedules can really serve a child and family, I usually crave that set schedule for the purpose of getting back to my life.

During pregnancy and even to this day, I've been afraid of the sacrifice, responsibility, costs, burden, commitment, etc. of having a child.  But in the end, the choice boils down to whether or not I trust God's Word.

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us." 1 John 3:16

Is Christ's example at the center of my love for Bella?  Am I willing to lay down my schedule, my tasks, my friendships, etc. for her?

Or how about, "Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him."  Psalm 127:3

Do I daily see Bella as a gift from God to me?  Am I enjoying this gift or do I treat Bella as another burden to be managed to my own selfish ends?

While my little green army stands ready to manage the day's cries, my heart is dwelling on these verses so that my attitude, my time, my hands-- my whole self-- might stand ready to love and serve this little girl, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment